POSITION: DESIGN ENGINEER - FIREARM INDUSTRY
LOCATION: MIAMI, FL
PAY RANGE: $80K - $95K, plus bonus 3X monthly base, Direct Hire
PLEASE APPLY DIRECTLY TO WWW.JMIRESOURCE.COM and email resume to Deborah Erdahl, HR Director, email@example.com
- Responsible for all production aspects for the safe and effective manufacture of high performance product.
- Provides direct efforts to ensure timely production and shipment of cost-effective, high quality products; leads efforts to drive ongoing improvements in product cost and quality, labor productivity, manufacturing cycle time, personnel and safety.
- Must identify and realize improvement opportunities for processes with the operations functions, leads ongoing utilization of Lean Manufacturing principles and practices to drive continuous improvement in product cost, quality and customer satisfaction.
- Focus on managing, coaching, and developing other people.
- An extensive depth of expertise and knowledge in specialized functions or business areas that can be used to develop policies and procedures as well as determining efficient and innovative ways to accomplish business strategies.
Essential functions, as outlined herein, intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Ensures that all activities are completed in compliance with lean, ethical and regulatory requirements, including QS 9000 / ISO 9001.
- Ensures physical and workforce resources are adequate to meet the organization's production schedule. Manages the activities of production personnel including workflow, assembly methods and work force utilization.
- Ensures effective monitoring and control processes are in place to achieve the highest quality for products as well as ensuring appropriate corrective actions are implemented.
- Manages all production personnel through Production Supervisors and Team Leaders.
- Manages production resource levels and ability (training/development) of production teams.
- Develops / executes plans with the product personnel and engineers to transition new products from development to manufacturing in a cost/time-effective manner; establish and audit new product manufacturing processes to ensure efficiency and quality.
- Identify and realize improvement opportunities for processes within the operations functions, lead ongoing utilization of Lean manufacturing principles and practices to drive continuous improvement in product cost, quality and customer satisfaction.
- Utilize personal Lean/Continuous Improvement expertise to help other functions identify, evaluate and pursue process improvement opportunities as needed.
- Trains personnel to further develop their skills, expand their career opportunities and support succession planning; ensures timely and quality performance and development discussions for all operation employees.
- Ensures compliance with governmental safety and environmental regulations. Promotes a safe work environment for self and others.
- Develops and executes an effective an effective staffing plan including both ramp up for growth and development of human resources for stability and retention of knowledge.
- Works out and implements standard operating procedures for production operations.
- Works with Human Resources to develop management and supervisory skills in the area of change management.
Five years of Experience in the firearm's industry is required.
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial Engineering or Business Science Management (BSM) from an accredited university is required.
Pistol Design Exp (Polymer preferred)
- Experience with High volume CNC, machining, fixtures, Tool Design, Assembly, and metal finishing.
- Experience in resolving quality issues related to product and processes using statistical methods.
- Experience and knowledge in engineering, machining, project management, and managing people.
- Experience in managing continuous Improvement teams with planning and facilitating strategic plans, kaizen workshops, and other lean activities;
- Requires a bachelor's degree - business administration, management, engineering, industrial technology strongly preferred.
- Requires directly-related manufacturing experience equivalent to formal education in business management plus 10 or more years experience in the manufacturing industry, preferably in the production of firearms; lean operations including at least three years of supervisory or management experience; or an equivalent combination of education, certification, training, and/or experience.
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt and project management certifications may be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent leadership, teamwork and people-management skills.
- Excellent problem solving, quantitative analysis and issue-resolution skills.
- Excellent financial and cost management skills.
- Knowledge and prior experience with formal continuous process improvement methodologies (Lean, Six Sigma, etc).
- Knowledge of process improvement techniques.
- Knowledge business, finance and management principles.
- Knowledge of machines and tools.
- Knowledge of engineering and technology principles and practices.
- Knowledge of human resource principles and practices.
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft Office products (Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Skilled in materials and inventory management, production scheduling, and Total Preventive Maintenance.
- Ability to use lean tools to conduct Kaizens, continuous improvement activities, 5s, workplace organization and data collection and analysis.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedure or governmental regulations.
- Ability for problem solving, quantitative analysis and issue-resolution skills.
- Ability to delegate authority and responsibility.
- Ability to develop and administer departmental goals, objectives, and procedures.
- Ability to analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing to include formal presentations.
- Ability to plan, organize, direct, and coordinate the work of lower level staff
Depending on functional area of assignment, tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (up to 20 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station and extended periods of time standing and/or walking.
Tasks are regularly performed inside without potential for exposure to adverse conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, fumes and/or poor ventilation, wetness, humidity, rain, temperature and noise extremes, machinery and/or moving vehicles, vibrations, electric currents, animals/wildlife, toxic/poisonous agents, gases or chemicals, oils and other cutting fluids, violence and/or disease, or pathogenic substances.
Some tasks require manual dexterity, in addition to visual and hearing acuity. Some tasks may involve identifying and distinguishing colors.