MAF Weekly Report-January 6, 2013
What Does the Reduction in Amount of Productivity You Have to Show Mean to You?
On January 1, 2013 the sales tax exemption for manufacturing machinery and equipment for expanding businesses changed again. Now instead of showing that you are at least 10% more productive in order to get the sales tax exemption, you only have to show that you are 5% more productive. We are working on press statements with the Governor’s Office and would LOVE to have a quote or two from our members or regional manufacturing members on what this change will mean to them in 2013. We need them “yesterday” so please send your quote by return email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you want to read the law, it is posted on our home page at www.mafmfg.com.
DEO Issues Annual Report
The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity (DEO) issued its 2012 annual report on December 14. The report covers Florida’s business climate and economic development activities, the strategic plan for economic development, the agency overview, performance of Florida’s economic development public private partnerships, and the Florida Innovation Incentive Fund Program. It ends with the 2012-2012 goals and objectives for the Department. The vision for DEO is that Florida will have the nation’s top performing economy and be recognized as the world’s best place to live, learn, play, work and do business. The report is attached for your convenience and is full of useful facts and figures.
Register for Manufacturing Days
Manufacturing Days at the Capital is scheduled for February 4-5, 2013 in Tallahassee, beginning the afternoon of February 4. It will be preceded by an MAF Board of Directors meeting on the morning of February 4. There will be briefings the afternoon of February 4 and a legislative reception that evening. On February 5 participants we break into teams to visit legislators in their offices. Event registration fee is $150/members and $200/non-members. Register for the meeting at www.mafmfg.com.
We have reserved a small group of hotel rooms at the aloft Hotel for $139/night in downtown Tallahassee (four blocks from the capitol). First come first served. Reservations at the aloft Hotel must be made by January 14, 2013 by calling 850.513.0313. The room block is under MAF or Manufacturers Association of Florida.
Federal Fiscal Cliff Package
The American Chemistry Council has reviewed the federal fiscal cliff tax package signed by President Obama on January 2. Of note are a few things you have heard about and others you might not have!
- Preserves income tax rates for most Americans as they were at the end of 2012, but individuals earning more than $400,000 and households earning over $450,000 will now pay a tax rate of 39.6%
- The top tax rate for capital gains and dividends will remain at 15% for those individuals earning less than $400,000 and households earning under $450,000, but will go up to 20% for those with higher annual incomes
- Long term unemployment benefits are extended for another year
- Sequestration is delayed for two months
- Extends through the end of 2013 the R&D tax credit and a modification of the rules for calculating the credit when the business, or a portion of it, changes hands
- Extends and modifies the Production Tax Credits for wind power, including the modification that allows renewable energy facilities (such as geothermal, hydropower, biomass and waste to energy) that begin construction before the end of 2013 to claim the 10 year credit
Proposed Federal Rules on Numeric Nutrient Criteria
EPA recently approved the Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s revised numeric nutrient criteria rules for statewide springs, lakes, streams and some estuaries. However, in accordance with a 2009 consent decree with the Florida Wildlife Federation andundefinedbecause the state’s rules do not cover some coastal waters, many estuaries and a subset of flowing watersundefinedEPA has proposed two federal rules that address these waters.
- EPA’s Inland Remand Rule serves to clarify some provisions in the rule EPA promulgated in 2010 establishing numeric nutrient limits in Florida's streams and rivers. These provisions were sent back to EPA for further action by the U.S. District Court. The rule is posted online at: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2012-12-18/pdf/2012-30114.pdf, and more information can be found at: http://water.epa.gov/lawsregs/rulesregs/florida_inland.cfm
EPA has proposed to postpone the applicability of this rule to November 15, 2013. The stay will allow time to gain clarity on the implementation of Florida’s rules.
- EPA’s Coastal Rule proposes numeric nutrient limits for those estuaries not covered by the State rule, coastal waters and flowing waters in South Florida. The rule is posted online at: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2012-12-18/pdf/2012-30117.pdf, and more information can be found at: http://water.epa.gov/lawsregs/rulesregs/florida_coastal.cfm
EPA will hold three webinars to provide opportunities for the public to learn more about its proposed rules and submit both written and oral comments. The webinars will be held on the following dates and times:
- Tuesday, January 22, 2013 from 10 am to Noon;
- Wednesday, January 23, 2013 from 6 to 8 pm; and
- Thursday, January 24, 2013 from 2 to 4 pm.
Webinar registration is available at: http://water.epa.gov/lawsregs/rulesregs/florida_index.cfm.
EPA will also hold information sessions for the public to learn more about its proposed rules and submit written comments. While verbal comments will not be taken/recorded, EPA representatives will be available to help attendees submit their written comments electronically. The sessions will have an “open house” format, and will be held in Tampa at the Hotel Tampa (formerly the Hyatt Regency Tampa), at 211 North Tampa Street, on the following dates and times:
- Thursday, January 17, 2013 from 1 to 7 pm; and
- Friday, January 18, 2013 from 9 am to 1 pm.
If you are unable to participate in any of the information sessions or webinars, or prefer to submit your comments in writing, you are asked to use one of the four methods identified below:
- www.regulations.gov: Follow the on-line instructions for submitting comments.
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail to: Water Docket, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Mail code: 2822T, 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20460.
- Hand Delivery: EPA Docket Center, EPA West Room 3334, 1301 Constitution Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20004. Such deliveries are only accepted during the Docket’s normal hours of operation, and special arrangements should be made for deliveries of boxed information.
When submitting written comments, you must be sure to identify which rule your comments pertain to:
- Inland Remand Rule Docket ID No. EPA-HQ-OW-2009-0596; or
- Coastal Rule Docket ID No. EPA-HQ-OW-2010-0222
Both rules were published in the Federal Register on December 18, 2012. Comments on the Inland Remand Rule must be received on or before February 1, 2013; while comments on the Coastal Rule must be received on or before February 19, 2013.
EPA must finalize the Inland Remand Rule by August 31, 2013 and the Coastal Rule by September 30, 2013. However, the Agency is prepared to either not move forward withundefinedor withdrawundefinedfederal rules for any waters that become covered by state law that meets the requirements of the Clean Water Act.
· Hopping Green & Sams has forwarded a memo from EPA and documents regarding institutional controls for cleaning up contaminated sites. All three documents are attached.
· Interested in adopting a school through the MAF Center’s Dream It Do It Program? Want a Quick Start guide? Contact your regional manufacturing association or June Wolfe at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about Dream It Do It, visit www.mafcenter.org.
- Know someone who should be a member of MAF? Contact email@example.com to provide the contact information.
- The Florida Administrative Register report for the week is attached.
Upcoming Events - 2013
January 30-31 Enterprise Florida Board, Committee, Manufacturing Task Force and Stakeholder meetings, DoubleTree Hotel, 101 South Adams Street, Tallahassee, FL
February 4 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. MAF Board of Directors Meeting, Governors Club, 202 ½ South Adams Street, Tallahassee, Florida
February 4-5 Florida Manufacturing Days at the Capitol, Governors Club, 202 ½ South Adams Street, Tallahassee, FL and the Capitol, Tallahassee, FL. Guest room blocks reserved at aloft Hotel (850.513.0313)
May 29 MAF Board of Directors Meeting, JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes, Orlando, FL. Time TBA. Mark your calendars!
May 30 Mark your calendar for a manufacturing education forum, particularly relevant for manufacturing human relations professionals and educators, to be held in conjunction with the Florida Sterling Conference in Orlando
May 28-31 Florida Sterling Council Annual Conference, JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes, register at www.floridasterling.com